This week we’re bringing you something a little different in our weekly conversation.
Ever since the #metoo movement and the uncovering of the toxic masculinity embedded in almost every layer of our society, masculinity has been up for scrutiny, and rightly so.
Some men feel scared to open their mouths or have meetings with women one on one at the office.
Some are questioning everything they learned about what it is to be a man to decide if they want to carry those beliefs forward or embody something different.
And no matter your gender expression, this conversation affects all of us.
Whether you’re raising boys, you’re a grown man yourself, or you’re simply in relationship with men as a sister, co-worker, partner, or friend, this conversation is one we all need to be engaged in.
What is a version of modern masculinity that we want to be supporting and living into?
We brought Jason Rosario, founder of The Lives of Men and host and executive producer of the Yahoo original show, Dear Men, on The Kate & Mike Show to share his perspective on modern masculinity.
When I was too sick on the day of the recording to be part of the interview, Mike and I both agreed it was a blessing because we knew the conversation about masculinity would be different with two men talking about their lived experience than it would be with me there.
So, we tried something new and had Mike host the episode himself, and after listening to it, I knew we definitely made the right decision.
Listen in to this week’s podcast episode for:
- An incredible piece of wisdom about what to share with our kids (and what not to)
- The one thing we shouldn’t do as co-parents if we want to be supportive of our kids’ journeys
- The critical piece that fathers bring to the table (and it isn’t being around all the time as you might assume)
- How to deal with your partner making more money than you (especially if you’re in a heterosexual relationship and you’re a man)
- An updated concept of masculinity that our world very much needs
After you’ve listened in, Mike, Jason, and I would like to know:
What did this episode bring up for you? What did you learn or are you now considering differently after listening?
Here’s to being, raising, and/or loving great men.
In This Episode
- How Jason initially became interested in working with men, and the role his upbringing has had on his choice of career [6:47]
- What his own healing journey has looked like, plus the way his father still influences him to this day [10:13]
- How Jason sees his role as a father, and the biggest lessons his daughter has taught him – even in the tough times they’ve gone through [23:43]
- What the experience has been like to develop The Lives of Men platform and produce his series, Dear Men [28:17]
- How Dear Men is allowing men to be more in touch with their emotions, and what it’s doing to change common perspectives [28:33]
- Jason’s hope for society and the younger generations [36:21]
- The dynamics that exist when women make more money than their males partners, and in what ways Jason has had to ask for help [38:25]
- The big opportunity that Jason sees for the space he’s in [44:52]
- The differences that still exist between men of colour and white men, and what he’s doing to show others what it really means to be a man [50:25]
Selected Links from the EpisodeReady To Uplevel Your Business? Sign Up For The FREE Masterclass Apply For Our Mastermind (Limited Spots Available)
Sign up for Kate’s Free Workshop, Spacious: 3 Proven Time Management Strategies Every Female Entrepreneur Needs Now Order Kate’s New Book!
Her First Book, Money: A Love Story & The Money Love Course Get On The Waitlist For Origin ® Sign Up For The B-School Waitlist
The Lives of Men Website, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter Dear Men (on Yahoo) The Manconomy (Men’s Health) We Believe: The Best Men Can Be | Gillette (Short Film)
Connect with Kate, Mike & Jason on Instagram!
People MentionedNoah Levy Swizz Beatz & Alicia Keys Kevin Love Tyler Perry