She grew up in a tiny town in Tennessee and fell in love with track and field, practicing high jump using an old sewer pipe that her coach would hold, falling onto an old mattress that they’d found and put in a sand pit.
She got herself a full scholarship to college because of her athletic and academic achievements, but a sharp pain in her back one day that caused her to fall to the ground took her out for the season, leaving her wondering if her dreams of being an Olympian were ever going to come to fruition.
A counselor told her to try yoga, and even though her Southern Baptist roots made her fearful that doing yoga meant worshipping the Buddha, she gave it a go because she was promised it was “just stretching.”
This woman’s story of healing injury, coming back to her athletic ambitions, going for it again, becoming injured again, going for it again, burning out again, and then coming back in a whole new way is one of overcoming tremendous obstacles and ultimately, finding wellness and joy in unexpected places.
Koya Webb did not go on to compete in the Olympics as she’d dreamed of her whole youth.
Instead, she let her first dream die so she could live the true dream: making a difference in the lives of people all over the world.
As an internationally recognized yoga teacher, personal trainer, holistic health and wellness coach, motivational speaker, model, and author of Let Your Fears Make You Fierce, Koya is a force of love in the world.
This week we have Koya on The Kate & Mike Show and, like a total dork, at the end of the podcast I blurted out, “I just really like you!” This woman is delightful and her joy is infectious. I’m so excited to share her with you today.
If you’ve ever pushed yourself so hard that you got injured, this episode is for you.
If you’ve been wondering how to grow your influence using social media to get the word out there about what you love, this episode is for you. (Koya has 1M followers, and the strategy she shares on the episode is simple and powerful.)
If you’ve ever been afraid of being the first in your family or peer group to go to college, surpass a certain income level, change your diet, prioritize your health, move far away, or have a happy relationship, this episode is for you.
If you’ve ever needed to let one dream die in order for another one to live, this episode is for you.
In This Episode
- Koya’s journey with spirituality and religion, and her relationship with the church now [14:40]
- What makes a good coach and the way she found and approached her dream coach for track [18:27]
- Why she let go of her Olympic Dream and what direction she went after that [21:51]
- What to do when you’ve lost your passion [29:00]
- The role self-awareness has played in Koya’s life, and what it looks like today for her [32:00]
- Her amazing list of daily rituals, and why she says there is freedom in discipline [35:13]
- The concept of “dirty water” and why everyone should be drinking it [41:15]
- Koya’s “messy” business model and what you shouldn’t expect if you’re writing a book [42:57]
- The Instagram strategy she used to reach 1 million followers and what you should do if you’re interested in becoming an influencer on the platform [46:25]
- How we can move past the fear of going first, and bring others along with us [53:20]
Selected Links from the Episode
Join Kate & Mike on the August Podcast Listening Adventure!
Koya’s Book, Let Your Fears Make You Fierce
People MentionedMarion Jones