Today we have an awesome interview with one of Kate’s friends from college, Tyler Gage. Tyler is the author of the recently released book, Fully Alive, and he uses wisdom from the Amazon and from his start up success to bring innovation and inspiration to growing organizations. He’s the founder of RUNA, a social enterprise that makes energizing beverages out of guayusa, a rare Amazonian leaf, which improves the livelihoods of 3,000 indigenous farming families in Ecuador.
Tyler shares how he uses shamanic principles in his life and business (with great success!), how he became friends with Channing Tatum, who became an investor and advisor of RUNA, and the experience he faced of almost being fired from the very company that he started.
If you order his new book, Tyler also has a great giveaway for you (with further details on his website, in the links for this episode)!
In This Episode
- What his introduction to meditation, indigenous languages and lucid dreaming led to [9:33]
- How Tyler learned about social enterprise [17:43]
- Two core lessons he gained from the shamanic principles [20:33]
- The importance of using all of our human faculties [23:13]
- What is the guayusa leaf and why does RUNA use it? [24:32]
- How Tyler practices gratitude [34:30]
- His “Steve Jobs” moment and the big lesson he learned from it [35:48]
- The best advice he’s received on being a CEO [40:03]
- Investor vs. Advisor [41:18]
- Does RUNA make you dance like Channing Tatum? [49:55]
- What led to Tyler stepping down as CEO and relocating from New York [51:32]
- Fair Trade 101 [57:31]
- How RUNA is disrupting the energy drink category [67:09]
- Why Tyler is now “clearing his filters” [67:48]
Selected Links from the EpisodeTyler’s Website (with giveaway) RUNA’s Website
Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge
People MentionedMark Allen Dr. Christiane Northrup Danny Warshay Yogi Bhajan José Luis Stevens Tim Ferriss Channing Tatum Emmanuelle Chriqui Alex Galindez David Segal (David’s Tea) Olivia Wilde and Barbara Burchfield (Conscious Commerce)