So, I’m usually someone who recommends not sharing what you’re going through publicly while smack-dab in the middle of going through it.
Mostly this is because I think sharing from the messy middle is unearned intimacy and secondly because I’m someone who likes to be useful and usually I don’t have a helpful perspective to share until after a little time has passed.
However, this week I went against my own advice.
As a recovering achiever, I don’t love the feeling of being out of control and not having my sh*t together. And while vulnerability and I have continued to make better friends over the years, feeling lost in the murk in public feels deeply uncomfortable.
But at the end of last week, we recorded our podcast right when I was in the murk of feeling lost and like there was a lot of pressure for me, as someone with a platform, to say the right thing or know how to guide people.
In many ways in that moment, I felt out of my depth.
When we finished recording, I had a major vulnerability hangover because I didn’t feel like I’d presented the “with it” version of myself that I prefer to be out in the world. But there it was. And Mike assured me that admitting on our podcast that I have no idea WTF is going on would be useful to folks.
So, if you want to listen in on a conversation that made me super uncomfortable and witness me in the messy middle, this week’s episode is for you.
In This Episode
- The two big choices each of us has right now, regardless of the circumstance [1:23]
- What the members of our community are experiencing – and why it’s ok to feel how you feel [7:35]
- The opportunities for connection that exist at this time [10:21]
- Why Kate believes we are now in the “fertile void” – and what this means for you [13:44]
- Some of the things that she is struggling with at the moment [20:48]
- The way that Mike is experiencing this situation [23:55]
- How our business is changing and the business questions you should be asking yourself [28:15]
- Why this was such a difficult episode for Kate to record [37:20]
- What happens when we segment groups and polarize people against one another [48:50]
Selected Links from the EpisodePreorder the Paperback Version of Do Less (and Get Access to the Book Club + Bonuses)! Get Your I’m Not Here To Please You T-Shirt!
It’s Time For B-School! To Sign Up and Get Our Incredible Bonuses, Click Here!Get On The Waitlist For The Do Less Planner! Get Kate’s Free Do Less Weekly Planner Join The Do Less Facebook Group Ready To Uplevel Your Business? Sign Up For The FREE Masterclass
Sign up for Kate’s Free Workshop, Spacious: 3 Proven Time Management Strategies Every Female Entrepreneur Needs Now
Get On Kate’s Mailing List
Deadliest Enemy by Michael T. Osterholm and Mark Olshaker
The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
Profit First by Mike MichalowiczEpisode 177: 5 Ways to Tend to Your Nervous System During Uncertain Times + 6 Steps to Pivot Your Business Mother Jones, The Atlantic & Fox News
People MentionedBrené Brown Pink Cheryl Richardson D-Nice Michelle Obama Oprah Kerry Washington Rosario Dawson Trevor Noah Rha Goddess Ben Shapiro