Our special guest today is creating a movement by increasing black female representation in the fitness world.
Sonja R. Price Herbert is a writer, speaker, Pilates instructor, and the founder of Black Girl Pilates, and she shares the unique challenges she’s faced as well as how she’s changing the conversation around representation.
Sonja is also starting to compete in powerlifting (as she turns 50!) and she discusses how she was able to find her inner “badass” and evolve in the last few years. Sonja is a true inspiration, and we can’t wait for you to listen in!
Do you want 2019 to be a year of tremendous growth, support, and miracles for you and your business? Are you an established entrepreneur who identifies as female with a track-record of consistent customers, clear offerings, and consistent revenue? We’re excited to announce that Kate has created a high-level paid mastermind that you could be the perfect fit for! For more details and how to apply visit origincollective.com/incubator.
Would you, or a company you know, be a good fit to sponsor The Kate & Mike Show? If so, let’s talk! You can email [email protected] regarding current sponsorship opportunities.
In This Episode
- Sonja’s journey into the world of competitive powerlifting and her current training regime [4:16]
- The importance of strength training as we get older [13:10]
- Her fitness goals now and her view on aging [16:00]
- How Sonja discovered Pilates [18:45]
- The ways it has improved her life and made her a better person [23:50]
- Mike’s experience with Pilates [25:20]
- What being an instructor has taught Sonja [26:57]
- Her mission to bring fitness to the black community [30:48]
- Some of the challenges she has faced in doing this [34:55]
- The positive things happening in her Facebook group [36:40]
- Why the group means so much to her personally [42:30]
- How Sonja has found herself over the last few years [49:30]
Selected Links from the EpisodeOrigin™ Incubator Preorder Kate’s New Book! Get on The Origin Waitlist!
People MentionedHope Matthews Emilie Battle Wendy Williams