Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the US, and all kinds of different gatherings are coming up over the next couple of months.
Each time we gather family and friends around holiday tables, there’s tremendous opportunity for meaningful connection and deep, heartfelt conversation.
And there’s also tremendous tendency toward small talk, feeling like you’re having to pull teeth to make conversation, and long, awkward pauses because no one knows what to say.
I get a lot of anxiety in social situations (though most people would never guess it from my gregarious presentation), and as soon as the conversation and connection halt, I feel myself scrambling for a hand-hold on a cliff that’s crumbling beneath my fingers.
In short, when conversation falters, I panic.
If you, like me, have a desire to have a holiday season full of meaningful connections with the people you love, instead of a string of stilted conversations and moments where you don’t know what else to say other than, “Well, isn’t this turkey delicious?”, I’ve got something for you.
Here’s a list of 7 soulful or silly questions and conversation starters to pepper your holiday table with connection, delight, hopefully some funny stories, and most importantly, love:
- What’s your favorite [insert specific holiday] memory?
- What was your weirdest [insert specific holiday] ever?
- What are you grateful for this year that you wouldn’t have been able to say you were grateful for last year because it wasn’t part of your life yet or because your relationship to it was different?
- If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, what would you want to have for your last meal on Earth?
- What song lyric did you always think was something else and how did you finally figure out you were wrong?
- If you were a vegetable, what would you be, and why?
- What’s your deepest, truest desire for 2019? How can we support that desire materializing for you?
Worried about awkward silences at your holiday table? Try these 7 Q’s from @katenorthrup to create fun, soulful connection.
Give one, two, or all seven of these a go tomorrow at Thanksgiving or anytime throughout the holiday season (or beyond). They’ll make you feel more connected to new people, closer to the people in your life you want to connect with on a deeper level, and to fall more in love with the people you hold most dear.
May your holiday season be filled with more laughter, joy, and love and less (or no) awkward silences.
OVER TO YOU:
Which one of these conversation starters is your favorite? What’s another favorite question to ask people to go beyond small talk and awkwardness? Tell me in the comments. I’m always looking to build my supply of great conversation fodder!