I was inspired by Seth Godin’s blog yesterday where he posted some of the things he was most proud of accomplishing in 2010. He suggested that his readers do the same. Each year on New Year’s Eve since I can remember I’ve taken a moment to light a candle and do a year in review. If we don’t acknowledge all the good stuff that’s already happened there’s no room for more good. My way of creating space is taking some time to give myself credit for another amazing year. It gives my central nervous system the message that I accomplished something so that I’m not feeling a constant sense of stress and striving.
My inner perfectionist really likes to have all the dishes done, laundry put away, floors swept, and bathroom sparkling before my New Year’s Eve ritual. This year, however, none of those things have happened and I’m sitting down to take stock anyway. I’m swimming in sticky notes. My sink is full of dishes. I haven’t finished putting away the last two loads of laundry and my suitcase remains unpacked from my trip last week. And I acknowledge myself for sitting down to take stock of 2010 in spite of the lack of perfection in my immediate environment. It turns out that having my jeans lined up perfectly is unrelated to my ability to notice some of the golden nuggets of 2010 and take a candlelit moment to write them down.
So here goes my 2010 Year in Review. In no particular order, this year I…
1. Completed a 300-hour Yoga teacher certification with Rodney and Colleen Yee at Yoga Shanti
2. Created an online presence for myself
3. Booked and completed my first paid speaking gig
4. Started to take myself and my business seriously
5. Became the CEO (Creative Expansion Optimist) of Team Northrup because I decided to give myself the title and start acting like one
6. Made more money than I’ve ever made in my life in a year
7. Took five weeks off during the summer and spent it with incredible friends a the “House of Love and Magic” in Sag Harbor, NY
8. Started to really tell the truth for the first time in my life
9. Re-structured my business partnership agreement with my mother (this was a HUGE FREAKING DEAL)
10. Started performing as a singer again for the first time in 10 years
11. Decided to leave NYC and hatched The Freedom Tour, an indefinite road trip I’m embarking on in February of 2011 (stay tuned for updates on this one)
12. Met and created friendships with a handful of incredible, inspiring, loving people who are up to amazing things in the world
13. Visited Paris twice (which makes me feel very fabulous)
14. Completed Marie Forleo’s Rich, Happy, and Hot B-School and significantly improved my marketing skills
15. Gave myself permission to take a break from leading Team Northrup for a couple of months and truly design my business instead of feeling victim to it..and as a result completely transformed my relationship and my commitment to my family and my team
16. Learned how to ask for what I want
17. Redesigned teamnorthrup.com and launched a Team Northrup blog (and launched it today!)
18.Took my first aerial dance class
19. Started to get it that I’m enough (thank you Danielle LaPorte and others)
20. Learned how to do a forearm stand in yoga without using the wall
Twenty golden nuggets from 2010. Writing those down makes me breathe deeper and feel more present.
What are your golden nuggets from 2010? Share them here. Share them with friends. Share them with yourself. But absolutely share them somewhere. Your brilliance deserves celebration. Your accomplishments require a standing ovation. Your creations request your attention.
Happy New Year!
Get more articles like this sent straight to your inbox!
By signing up for my newsletter you'll receive weekly emails from me and occasional promotions. I take your privacy very seriously and will never distribute or sell your email address or information.