Episode 196: How to Make Virtual Events and Connection as Good as (or Better) Than in Person
written by Kate Northrup
Listen on Apple Podcasts and Subscribe!
The last week of July I was supposed to be in NYC with the Origin Mastermind on our second live retreat of the year.
For reasons that I think are obvious, we begrudgingly decided to have a virtual retreat instead.
At first, I was feeling really concerned that I was disappointing the Mastermind members.
But then, as we embraced the “is-ness,” as my friend Dr. Shefali says, and surrendered to what was happening rather than wallow in wishing it was different, magic began to emerge.
Many of us are finding ourselves needing to lead virtual gatherings—from small meetings to Mastermind retreats to full-on conferences—online this year.
Something happened during the event that I did not see coming, and I was thrilled by the surprise.
Listen in to this week’s episode of The Kate & Mike Show to learn:
- The specific steps we took (with the timeline) to set ourselves up for a glorious virtual retreat
- How we used the element of surprise to weave magic throughout
- The specific swag we sent, including a small $11 item from Amazon that I can’t talk about without feeling giddy
- The questions to ask yourself when being in community online, so you’re not missing out on an opportunity for genuine connection
This episode is a must for anyone leading virtual events this year.
I’m excited to hear what ideas the episode sparks for you!
In This Episode
- Why Kate says she felt nervous heading into the virtual retreat [6:54]
- The mindset she adopted in order to promote true connection with all attendees [9:25]
- Her commitment to start planning early for the event, and the very first steps taken [12:25]
- Some of the ways that the attendees were made to feel extra special [24:23]
- Why “deeper not wider” was the theme and what it really means for everyone in 2020 [31:50]
- What can happen when things line up perfectly to form an integrated experience [40:40]
- Kate’s key takeaways from the virtual event [42:30]
- How she incorporated body, energy and space for everyone at the event [43:40]
- Why communication and setting expectations is key [46:00]
- A positive we see coming from the new normal we find ourselves in [48:49]
Selected Links from the Episode
Build A Thriving Digital Course Biz – Get The Free Cheat Sheet & Podcast Playlist!
Order the Paperback Version of Do Less (and Get Access to the Book Club + Bonuses)!
Get Your I’m Not Here To Please You T-Shirt!
It’s Time For B-School! To Sign Up and Get Our Incredible Bonuses, Click Here!
Do Less Physical Planner Waitlist
Join The Do Less Facebook Group
Get Kate’s Free Do Less Weekly Planner
Ready To Uplevel Your Business? Sign Up For The FREE Masterclass
Sign up for Kate’s Free Workshop, Spacious: 3 Proven Time Management Strategies Every Female Entrepreneur Needs Now
Get On Kate’s Mailing List (and get the Weekly Planning Ritual Guide)
Her First Book, Money: A Love Story & The Money Love Course
Enrollment For Origin ®& Mastermind/Incubator Waitlist
The Art of Extreme Self-Care by Cheryl Richardson
More Myself by Alicia Keys
Episode 114: Emergent Strategy: Adrienne Maree Brown
Episode 168: How to Get Paid and Do Good at the Same Time with Rha Goddess, author of The Calling
Episode 189: How to Scientifically Break Racial Bias with Anu Gupta
Episode 194: How (and Why) to Love Your Opponent with Valarie Kaur, author of See No Stranger
Flora and Fauna of Africa Oracle Deck
James Wedmore’s Mind Your Business Podcast
Connect with Kate & Mike on Instagram!