Episode 42: Badass Sixth Grader Stands Up to Her School’s Dress Code and Ignites a National Movement
written by Kate Northrup on July 4, 2017
Listen on iTunes and Subscribe!
Today we’re joined by the incredible mother-daughter team of Christina and Molly Neuner, who share their amazing story of courage and standing up for what you believe in.
This is a great example of how supporting your kids not only impacts them, but you as well as the parent, and how people can bring about change in the world from wherever they may be.
In This Episode
- Molly’s initial thoughts as she was shamed in front of classmates [7:39]
- Like it or not, we do judge others based on what they wear [14:47]
- Why Christina took the stand that she did [20:12]
- What the hashtag, #iamnotadistraction is all about [22:29]
- Kate’s trick to stop crying when you really don’t want to [31:17]
- The real problem with the Internet is… [35:14]
- Why this story struck such a nerve worldwide [39:11]
- Today’s kids are more “Badass”! [41:13]
- Just having the conversation is so important [45:04]
- The #1 thing Kate’s mom taught her growing up [49:52]
- What a dress code should really look like [55:20]
- A new sub-headline for this podcast [62:40]
Selected Links from the Episode
Articles about Molly on The Portland Press Herald, Cosmopolitan, Teen Vogue, Allure, Huffington Post & Yahoo News
Christina’s Website & Instagram